Seeds of Hope ( Nasiriyah )
The Seeds of Hope Program continues to plant its seeds of hope in the city of Nasiriyah , which saw and sees a lot of our organization’s activities of in both the social and medical fields . As part of our organization’s programs to improve the living environmental conditions for children living in poor neighborhoods and the landfill areas, we have agreed in cooperation with the province of Dhi Qar , and the municipality of Dhi Qar and the Department of Agriculture and the Environment, and a number of NGOs and civilian in Dhi Qar and Al- Ahwar TV channel, to launch a program we called ( our environment, is our home, lets preserve it).
The most important goals of this program for the children are :
1- To create a healthier more liveable environment for the children inhabiting these poor areas .
2- To build leadership qualities and self-confidence for these children, by engaging them in maintaining the cleanliness of their neighborhoods after it has been cleaned by the municipality.
3- To establish the importance of the sense of responsibility and commitment for Social Service in improving once community.
The most important activities we are working on to support this program:
• Cleaning and Planting Campaign: It was agreed to carry out cleaning campaigns and convert the waste poured standings between residential houses in poor areas in to public recreational parks where evergreen trees, plants and flowers are planted and some park games are supplied for children to play in. To date four of these areas had been cleaned and evacuated of all the rubbish.
• Awareness Campaigns : It was agreed to carry out a campaign on the issues of preserving the environment through the following:
• As part of launching an awareness campaigns for the people and children living in different poor neighborhoods in Nasiriyah, LLI agreed with the children in these areas (like what we did with the seeds of hope program in Basra) to pledge to maintain the cleanliness of their neighborhoods and that is after it being cleaned and planted by the municipality. And as an incentive for these children, regular contests, for the most beautiful and preserved area will be held between these neighborhoods, and winners would receive prizes plus media coverage and interviews by TV channels, given to the children participating.
• Educational posters will be printed explaining the benefits in preserving the environment and then distributed to mosques for the preachers to focus on this subject among the worshipers during Friday sermons.
• In coordination with Thi Qar Provence, one of their in house film directors is to work on a documentary film with children and for children to raise awareness on environmental issues, to be titled A Child is a Friend of the environment.
• An agreement was reached with the Department of Veterinary Medicine in the city to carry out a campaign to get rid of the many fierce stray dogs inhabiting the roads and Landfill.
• As part of our organization’s commitments to connect Iraqi children with other children of the world by computer, LLI suggested building a small centre for teaching computers to primary school age children in one of the recreational parks (which adjoins an elementary school for children), that we had agreed with the authorities to replace the waste pour areas in the city. And a small piece land has already been designated inside the proposed park. This will be the first center of its kind for this age group in Iraq .
• LLI has also introduced, to the local authorities, the idea of creating a modern village for the residents of the landfill.